Sunday, January 24, 2010

On reading, writing and chocolate chip cookies

I got my Amazon order and I've been catching up on some recent titles in my genre. I wonder sometimes if writing is ruining reading for me in some ways, since I find myself deconstructing every aspect of the books I read. Then I find something that totally and completely transports me into another world. When it happens it's amazing, and I'm reminded why I write in the first place.

I just read SWOON, which I quite enjoyed, although it has more sex and casual drug use than I normally see in YA books. I found it interesting that I had more difficulty with the casual drug use than the sex. I couldn't shut off my mom radar, which is normally not an issue for me.

Also finished DEVOURED, a dark, modern take on Snow White. The whole heart eating thing was a little creepy, but it was a fun read.

Just started FALLEN. It's in third person, which seems to be making a bit of comeback.

As a writer, I want to write something that will take people out of their own head, and transport them. I know writing does that for me. It's just harder for me to go there as a reader.

Oh well. My daughter made chocolate chip cookies today. So it's a good to day to be in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment